Tuesday, September 13, 2005

boredom

Have you ever been so bored you do anything and everything you can think of only to find that 5 minutes has passed by? That's where I am right now. I feel like this day is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r. It's really hard for me to extend the time it takes for me to process an order. I swear, sometimes it's a curse to work efficiently. I look at the others in my office feigning work as well. It seems they can drag out the time it takes for them to process orders for the whole morning. I just sit at my desk staring blankly at my screen somehow hoping that I'll jump into warp speed and suddenly it will be one o'clock: lunch time! At my morning break I carefully divide up my pop tarts into little bite sized pieces, carefully chewing each bite, and listen to my coworkers chat. I make an extra trip to the lunchroom for tea, even if I don't want any. I come up with any excuse I can to walk around distracting myself from the utter boredom that exists at my desk. I write page long emails and letters only to find that I type too fast to take up a reasonable amount of time. I re-read my emails fifty times to make it look like I'm actually working when someone walks by. When I get an order, I'm just so damn excited to have something to do that it takes me two minutes to process it for the next stage and then I'm consumed with boredom once again. It's weird. I really miss the fast paced insanity that was once fedinkos, but I think I would die if I ever had to work there again. But this, this nothingness that has become my work day is killing me! If only I could break out my laptop and busy myself with my own designs. I actually came up with a sure fire plan to work on my laptop at work without actually doing any work. Is it wrong to think like that? Should I actually get paid to sit here hoping, praying that a customer will want to talk to me? We all dive for the phone when the main line rings, desperate for another form of human contact. I read magazines about the hospitality industry. I constantly review the supply catalog, searching for a description, ad, or article I haven't read yet. I blog pointlessly, just rambling to take up space and time. I think I'm going crazy...and I can't even knit!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Daou Report
ALERT: FEMA'S Mike Brown resigns , giving more mileage to the now-infamous Bush quote , Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.
with this stuff it is now possible for you to work from home and forget about your boss and commuting forever. Take control and make your own future while you still have the time

September 13, 2005 11:19 AM  
Anonymous jen said...

i felt like this at my old job. sometimes when it would get slow, i didn't want to leave (i was paid hourly) so i'd find ways of looking busy. altho they were ultra babyish and complained if you went ont he internet and stuff. so i'd make lists. this became my favorite thing to do! i'd make 100's of lists. i'd make lists of lists. after a year i was moved from a desk and cube to a wall with a long shelf for the computers. i had to sit in a room with 7 40 something women. and one micromanaging new boss. she demanded i write down what i did every minute even tho i was still a dept of one and everything i did went thru HER. i had to listen to people talk about their kids everyday every minute. or how lame or dumb their husbands were. if i asked about a good book recommendation..i was told by everyone they didn't have TIME to read books. no one talked about movies or music..it was desperate housewives, that home improvment show with ty and their kids 8 hrs a day every single friggin day. i wanted to throw myself off a cliff. i was SO glad i was downsized from there. it saved my sanity.

September 14, 2005 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home